Since 1891, there has been a Lubbock High. As we walk down
these halls everyday, it is important to know of the rich
history behind the school.
the Early history of Lubbock county, when the town-sites
of old Lubbock and Monterey were still rivals, there was
no established school.
In 1891, the
two rival towns merged, and the first Lubbock school
became a reality. The school announcement offered,
"Schooling for all who could reach it by pony, wagon,
buggy or on foot." Enrollment in the new school grew to
360 students in 1909, and the three-room building was
badly overcrowded. In March 1909 the need for a new school
became even more pressing. Fire destroyed the building.
The boys who began the fire hoped to end school in Lubbock
permanently, but were successful only in postponing it
until the fall. A group of five were the first to graduate
from Lubbock High when it first became an accredited high
1922, although the school mascot was a Westerner, the
football team was named "The Pirates." In order for an
out-of-town team to come to Lubbock, the school had to
agree to pay for transportation, a private meal, and first
1929, enrollment approached 500 and the overcrowding was
so serious that the high school was threatened with the
loss of accreditation.
the fall, plans began for the construction of a new high
school, which took three years to complete. During that
time, it was necessary for many of the grades to go half
day. The headlines of the Westerner World on April 1,1931,
read, "Lubbock High School students to move desks." The
story read, "On account of a delay in getting the
furniture from the old one will be moved by the students.
Starting at 9 a.m. Monday, each pupil will carry his desk
or chair and four students will be assigned to move each
teacher's desk." This story continuess today even though
it was an April Fool's story.
At the school's main entrance rides the cowboy, symbol of